Community Resources

Do you or someone you know need nonprofit help? Your best “first step” is to call 2-1-1, the region’s information and referral system for nonprofit services. Just as you dial 9-1-1 during a crisis like a house fire or medical emergency, dial 2-1-1 when you have a need for local nonprofit services and information. Trained operators are able to ask for details related to needs and provide information about local nonprofits that can be of assistance. If you live outside of Shelby County, you may wish to call toll free, 855.354.4211. If your mobile phone provider does not allow service to 3-digit numbers, call 901.415.2790; 2-1-1 is a partnership between United Way of the Mid-South and the Memphis Public Library System.


Food Resources

  • People may apply for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits by applying online using the Family Assistance (FA) Online application.

  • Mid-South Food Bank is packing 14-Day food boxes with nonperishable food to help low-income and vulnerable populations.  The food boxes are available through our partner food pantries in the area.  Click on Find Food above.  We are also increasing the our Mobile Pantry distributions.  See the list below.  We need donations of food and funds as well as volunteers to pack the boxes. Must bring an official form of ID indicating residence (driver’s  license, utility bill with home address) to pick up food. Distribution starts at 10 am and the list of sites is at For a list of pickup location go to this website

Utility Assistance

  • To learn more about assistance programs from MLGW please call the Memphis Light, Gas and Water Customer Care Center at (901) 544-6549

Housing Assistance

  • Memphis/Shelby County Emergency Housing Partnership - This non-profit agency can offer short-term Rental Assistance and also Housing Case Management. Tenants can work with a counselor to look into short-term rental assistance (up to three months worth of payments), low income housing options, housing case management, and general information and supportive services. The assistance rent is targeted at those families who are homeless or imminently homeless, and the applicant needs to have children as well. This can include single parents. Some of the criteria include the applicant needs to have been employed or able to contribute some funds to rent, have been a resident of Shelby County Tennessee and a few other criteria. To learn more or apply for help, call 901-260-4663.

Relief Funds

Memphis Virtual Tip Jar The website has a great, super easy to read list of resources for service industry workers affected by COVID-19 closures and changes. They are managing a Virtual Tip Jar so that you can send money directly to your favorite servers, bartenders, and workers at local restaurants. Consider donating a few bucks every time you have a meal or a cocktail at home! If you are a server, you can fill out this form to be added to the tip jar.


MLGW Hotline: (901) 528-4465
Memphis Non-emergency Number: 901-545-2677
Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255
Poison Control Hotline:(800) 222-1222
Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-866-331-9474
Veterans Crisis Line: 1-800-273-8255

How to Help

  • The FDA urges blood donations. Vitalant points out giving blood is safe and that “blood drives are not gatherings.” Do not donate if you are sick: Vitalant does NOT test for COVID-19. Make your appointment here.

  • The Community Foundation of Greater Memphis has launched a Mid-South COVID-19 Response Fund for funding organizations that serve high-risk residents. To donate and for more information, visit the Community Foundation’s website at

  • Music Export Memphis has established a fund to provide financial relief for Memphis musicians who have lost income because of cancellations due to Coronavirus/COVID-19. For more information and to donate, go here.

  • Edible Memphis launched an emergency fund for food industry workers. To donate and for more information, go here. 



©2020 by Mobley/Harmon. Proudly created with